The Function of Casein for Building Muscle and Tips for Choosing the Product

There are many different types of protein powder products on the market that are aimed at building and strengthening muscles. However, casein is still a favorite of many people, whether they are just starting a muscle-building program to bodybuilders. Actually, what is the function of casein for the human body?

What is casein?

Casein is a type of protein found in milk and its products, such as cheese, yogurt, and ice cream.

Casein is a complete protein that contains all the essential amino acids to support your body’s performance.

About 80% of the protein content of cow’s milk consists of casein, while the remaining 20% ​​is whey.

In cheese making, the addition of enzymes will coagulate the milk so as to separate the solids from the liquid. This white solid is called casein.

Manufacturers then dry the casein globules to make it into a protein powder or add it to high-protein milk.

Various benefits of casein for the body

The main function of casein is to provide essential amino acids for building muscle mass. This protein works in the following way.

1. The digestion process is slower

digestive system

Your body will digest casein slowly even up to seven hours.

This slow digestion process is very useful for repairing cells and tissues that have been damaged by strenuous physical activity.

Casein also provides sufficient nutrients to restore muscle strength after a day of physical activity.

Along with a long digestive process, consuming casein will make you feel full longer.

2. Build greater muscle mass

In addition to repairing muscle cells, casein also has a function in building muscle mass.

According to a study in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, you can get these benefits after taking casein for ten weeks.

Build greater muscle mass

To get optimal results, you certainly need to accompany it with adequate protein intake.

Do not forget to do exercise regularly, especially in the form of muscle endurance training ( resistance training ).

3. Increase muscle strength

Many people prefer whey protein supplements to increase muscle strength. In fact, casein is equally important.

According to a 2018 study, intake of casein supplements and muscle training are effective for increasing muscle size and strength.

This one function may be related to the anti-catabolic effect of casein. That is, casein not only builds muscle but also maintains muscle tissue and prevents damage that can reduce its mass.

4. Increase the body’s metabolic rate

In addition to exercising to increase muscle mass, you may also have goals to lose fat and burn calories.

Consuming casein can actually increase the body’s metabolism to help you lose weight.

Increasing the intake of casein in the daily diet has the potential to control body weight and improve body composition.

Casein also has a function in increasing energy expenditure without starving you.

How much casein do you need?

The average adult needs 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight each day. If you weigh 60 kilograms, it means that your daily protein requirement is 48 grams.

However, athletes, bodybuilders, and people who are building muscle mass need more protein intake.

Some institutions in the US and Canada recommend a daily protein intake of 1.2–1.7 grams per kilogram of body weight.

So, how much casein do you need?

Amy Shapiro, RD, founder and director of Real Nutrition in New York, USA, states that the intake of casein should be no more than 30 grams. Muscles can already benefit from casein with that amount.

How to choose the best casein powder product

There are lots of casein supplement products on the market.

Some claim to build muscle fast, while others list all the amino acids you need.

This is certainly confusing for people who are buying casein powder products for the first time.

As a general guide, here are some things you should consider.

1. Casein type

There are micellar caseins that are cheaper and commonly used. There is also hydrolyzed casein which is safer for allergy sufferers, but more expensive.

2. Composition

Shapiro suggests choosing casein that contains 23–29 grams of total protein and 100–140 calories per serving.

3. Solubility

Choose casein that dissolves easily. So, you can enjoy the benefits of casein without having to taste the lumps in your drink.

4. Reasons to consume

If you’re taking casein to build muscle, you’ll need casein, which has extra calories.

5. Allergies

Casein may not be the right choice for people with cow’s milk allergy or lactose intolerance.

Casein is a milk protein that is useful for building muscle.

If you want to consume this protein, use the appropriate dose, choose the right product, and consider everything that might affect its effect on the body.

Leave a Comment